WARNING: This workout is not for the faint hearted. You will struggle. It will burn. You will hate us. So, you might wonder, “Why would Devin and Tash do this to us? They seem like nice people, but this is horrible!” Well ladies, one of the main reasons is time. Yes, time. We know how busy life can get and we know how hard it can be. How difficult it is to not only find an hour for the gym, but the half an hour of travel before and the 30 mins after to shower. All in all it can take 2 hours of your precious daylight, seriously adding to the stress of getting your butt to the gym. As if it’s not hard enough already.
The workout we are sharing with you for Part 6 of the Body Love Series is a 15 min, high intensity workout. You’re probably thinking that 15 mins sounds too good to be true. We were in London the first time we did this work out, and felt we had never exercised so hard in our lives. But we loved it. It was quick. It was painful. But it was very rewarding.
Now. Apart from the ‘time benefits’, here are a few facts about the benefits of this high intensity interval training (HIIT), and some of the reasons we fell in love with it. Your regular workout has nothing on this.
- You burn more fat: By increasing and decreasing your heart rate during intervals, your body starts to use your fat reserves to keep up. It continues to do this for 24 hours after your workout, so you will burn more calories than during a medium – low intensity workout.
- You lose weight instead of gaining muscle: The high intensity cardio exercise means you are burning fat rather than increasing muscle mass. Working towards a feminine, shapely figure.
- You can do it anywhere, no equipment needed: As we travel a lot, we love being able to do this workout no matter where we are in the world. You can do this in your home, in a park or at the gym.
- You are increasing your metabolic rate: Which means you will be able to burn fat faster at any given time, even just walking up a set of stairs throughout your day.
- You will have a healthier heart rate: HIIT training will increase your cardiovascular endurance due to its high intensity.
To put it simply, us ladies love our curves, want to slim out in the right places and not build muscle in the wrong places. This workout is a great way of doing that. You just need to work hard for 15 mins 4-5 times a week.
A few tips before you begin:
When you feel the burn, keep going. That’s when the workout is doing the most and matters the most.
Count the seconds as you do the moves to keep up with the intervals and DO NOT STOP. Keep going, even if you just jog on the spot. Otherwise, your heart rate will go down and you will lose the intensity.
EVERY EXERCISE LASTS 30 SECONDS WITH 20 SECONDS RUNNING ON THE SPOT IN BETWEEN.
20 SECONDS JOG ON THE SPOT
30 SECONDS SIDE SQUATS
30 SECONDS LEG LIFTS
30 SECONDS WALK OUT LOWER BACK STRETCH UP AND DOWN
30 SECONDS FORWARD LUNGE WITH OVERHEAD ARM STRETCH
20 SECONDS SPRINT ON THE SPOT
30 SECONDS WALK OUT PUSH UP
20 SECONDS RUN WITH KNEE RAISES
3O SECONDS JUMPING LUNGES
30 SECONDS SQUAT
Continues on next page…